Release Blockade

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Release Blockade

Post by LMan »

Damn I have about 5 quasi finished tunes on my HD and I just can't force myself to release them. It's like I've pushed my own demands for quality higher than my abilities permit. Anyone knows what I mean, and propably knows how to handle this? :lol:

- Markus
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

I usually get jitters right before uploading a tune to the RKO queue, but I usually just say: 'What the Hell!".. If I am happy with the work then it's good enough for me... If I don't think it's good enough I start going through the track, maybe changing a few instruments, adding some rythm stuff... That kinda thing :)
<--- I went that way --->
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I usually think my own songs are utter crap. The only one I released with out asking someone what they thought was Crazy Comets, because I thought that one rocked. :)

"Odé to my C64" was released because my flatmate at the time told me I was silly if I didn't upload it. :)
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

Having that problem with an Amiga-Remix right now... ehm, wrong forum ;-)
putzi
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Okay for now I started by submitting a remix of "BraveStarr" title theme by Dave Whittaker. It's been almost finished since spring '02 :oops:
Only did some minor adjustments and changes now... hope people will like it anyways :)

- Markus
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Hi Markus,

I feel somewhat the same way as you.

The solution is maybe to take up some very simple and lame sid and having fun remixing it just for fun, without thinking about quality.

I did that way with the one of the remix competition. it almost came out in 30 minutes and i had a lot of fun making it.

:)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

That really sounds like some good advise :)

Thanks!

- Markus :)
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Release Blockade

Post by Lagerfeldt »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Damn I have about 5 quasi finished tunes on my HD and I just can't force myself to release them. It's like I've pushed my own demands for quality higher than my abilities permit. Anyone knows what I mean, and propably knows how to handle this? :lol:

- Markus
I know what you mean.

I have more than a handful (well, actually some 60 or 70) unfinished songs on my HD's right now.

My advice would be: fuckgeddaboutit, or just re-use any parts that are outstanding. My almost finished or unfinished songs eventually all go thru a filtering process from "HD Current" to "HD Waiting" to "HD Backup 1" to "HD Backup 2" to a 6 months Backup CDR, and every 2nd year to the trash if I look at the CDR and can't remember what's on it...

Also it's often better to start anew than start fixing something that's inherently broken. You have to listen to that little voice in your head, it's the only thing that'll make you better. Be honest when you mix; does this *really* sound better, is this *really* good enough or am I just being lazy because it'll take way too much time redoing it or doing it properly? :-)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

*snip*
Last edited by Vosla on 05/11/2003 - 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
All is lost.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Vosla wrote: nah, you are all good...even on a bad day.
no, i'm not good.....maybe something below good... :wink:

cheers 2Klang
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Well, Lagerfeldt, your advise combined with DHS's advise hits the spot I guess. Time to move some stuff into the "Abandoned" folder and start something fresh! ;)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

i reckon having a good beta tester helps. Sometimes it seems that only you either thinks it's good or bad when others think the oppersite. Getting stuck so much in your own tune you don't realise what the bigger picture is.

just my ten cents anyway :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

<<<
Time to move some stuff into the "Abandoned" folder and start something fresh!
>>>
Why not give them to someone else, and see if they've got any ideas
for them?

Chris