*.c64.org downtime

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

*.c64.org downtime

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Just got this from Slaygon:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[17:56] <Slaygon> Email aliases, web redirects and everything I host at c64.org is down though.
[17:56] <_Bamboo_> what happnd?
[17:57] <Slaygon> Hard disk crash in sid.c64.org (primary mail server, primary web server) about a week ago. Haven't had time to fix it until now (I'm at work
now with sid.c64.org on the operating table).
[17:57] <Slaygon> Hopefully I can remedy most of the stuff from the disk. I have no backup of the info on the crashed hard disk.
[17:57] <Slaygon> All SQL tables are on that disk.
[17:57] <Slaygon> As are all the email aliases and hosted pages.
[17:57] <_Bamboo_> oh
[17:57] <Slaygon> (hvsc.c64.org, composers.c64.org)
[17:58] <Slaygon> (etc
[17:58] <Slaygon> )
[17:58] <Slaygon> I have taken out the disk itself (the actual magnetic media) from the old disk, and I'm currently trying to insert it into another casing with
a controller and all that stuff.
[17:59] <Slaygon> I do not have $3000 to send the disk off to a company to do that work for me. ;)
[17:59] <Slaygon> The shell machine (c64.org) went down yesterday for a yet unknown reason.
[18:00] <Slaygon> I upgraded it to a dual p3-750 and 1GB RAM.
[18:00] <locutus-_> niceish
[18:00] <Slaygon> It ran fine for a couple of hours, and then just went dead on me.
[18:00] <Slaygon> I will investigate that tomorrow (when I have looked into the sid.c64.org situation first)
[18:01] <Slaygon> DNS is hosted outside of these two machines, so it is not affected.
[18:02] <Slaygon> If you would be so kind as to relay the above information to as many as possible, I would be greatful.
[18:02] <Slaygon> A lot of people must be wondering what the hell is going on...
[18:02] <Slaygon> Searching for "c64.org" at google gives me 48,500 hits...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

So, that's the reason... Thanks for telling, Jan! And, Slaygon... good luck with the restoration, I'll send all my best wishes for your success! :D
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: *.c64.org downtime

Post by carlsson »

Slaygon wrote:I have taken out the disk itself (the actual magnetic media) from the old disk, and I'm currently trying to insert it into another casing with a controller and all that stuff.
I thought that kind of operation was instant hard drive suicide, at least if the server disks were somewhat recent. Is it really possible to take away the magnetic disks and insert elsewhere in a "user environment"?
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: *.c64.org downtime

Post by Larsec »

carlsson wrote:Is it really possible to take away the magnetic disks and insert elsewhere in a "user environment"?
It is. I had a guy do it for me when I fried the electronics in a 8GB IBM some years ago... Worked, no problems whatsoever... Takes skill, though...
<--- I went that way --->