Editorial - February 2004

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Editorial - February 2004

Post by ifadeo »

...Let’s shake this artform up a little bit, shall we?....

i've to agree..... :D

cheers ifadeo
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

(3) Do a SUPERSID: use as many SID channels as possible to create pieces which contain mostly SID stuff, but which use 16-32 channels. Big sweeping SID chords, delicate SID triangle waves, raucous SID percussion?

I like this idea! *begins plans*

or maybe do a Feekzoid and add existing SID tracks and an existing SID remix that doesn?t have any. !

What does that mean? *confused* :) Does this refer to Tusker?

5) Do an FTC/Feekzoid/RIDE/Others: use a small subtune or segment from a SID to produce an entirely new song.

Dammit! Guess I'll just keep doing what I do!

Tho the sidphony sounds like a nice idea :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> or maybe do a Feekzoid and add existing SID tracks and an
> existing SID remix that doesn?t have any. !
Actually I was thinking of something else here, so I should probably edit it: I was thinking of your C64 remixes of SID.

Chris
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I dont think 16 or 32 ch SID would work..... I mean, the creativity of making good music with 3 channels, was having to work within the limitations, seeing how far you could push it.... Certainly try 16 / 32 ch but i think it would sound very noisy myself and not at all faithful.. still, im willing to be proved wrong.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I think getting SID to work at 32 channels is as much a challenge as getting it to work in 3: it's just a different kind of challenge. And it doesn't have to remain faithful to the original, though it could. We won't know until people try it.

Although obviously you're going to have to use the filter quite a lot, and some of the more gentle SID sounds otherwise you would indeed get a very noisy lot of pulse widths :)

Chris
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

See I interpret that differently, I always thought the SID was most amazing when 2-3 of the voices were used for the one instrument, so I therefore invisage a virtual symphony as played by an imaginary orchestra C64s, each an instrument in their own right.

Listen to the beginning and end of Tim Follin's Gauntlet 3 music for multiple channel instrument usage - that string is to die for, the only thing it needs is a little reverb....
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Yup, the way you describe it, I salivate. Therefore I really look forward to your results :)

Chris
arvirus
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by arvirus »

"...do video to a SID track or remix, illustrating it. Use existing film video if you have to, the whole thing’s illegal anyway, and no one's likely to mind, especially if you just use atmosphere shots and don't sell the result"

nice idea! but the problem is: who will download a >30mb mpeg-file and where to store it?

/arvid
[ http://www.arvirus.de - more than meets the eye]
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> who will download a 30mb mpeg-file
Anyone with broadband!

> and where to store it?
We'll think of something. Build it, and they will come! (or something like that...)