Visa Röster's CD: "just a CDR". Balls?

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Re: Visa Röster's CD: "just a CDR". Anger?

Post by Vosla »

weblaus wrote:What I don't get is the First Star thing, though: I know there pretty anal on their copyrights, but Spy vs. Spy is no way that great a song to let yourself be bossed around. There' a lot of stuff on the CD that's (to me, anyway) a lot stronger and it's a shame if there won't be more copies around because of an arrogant has-been-company...
Ulrich.
First Star! Again! I remember the Boulder Dash trouble...
All is lost.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

If this had been some unknown cash-in pirate on ebay, then yeah id be tempted to kick up a serious stink, but we all know what kind of a scrape Chris is in and were all trying to do our bit, tho i do see marks point of view here.

I pay cash and i do expect quality, but guys, this isnt HMV or Virgin Records - these are friends... thyre trying to provide as igh a quality as possible on the smallest budget possible to help Chris out - I for one wont be kicking either Pex or Chris in the balls for that one.

Sure i recorded the event on slay, i could run those thru a high pass filter and pop remover etc.... then write em to a CD and play em in the car .... or even better download their stuff from RKO ... so why buy the cd's ?

Because i wanted to. Its an informed choice... I couldnt get to the last event, so my intent is to enjoy it in the best way i know how - by donating, buying and supporting. Well thats my 2p anyways.

Still la shame i couldnt get VR to sign the darn thing tho ;) im big on collecting autographs... maybe Pex will sort out an autograph part on their site soon... or similar; i forsee VR becoming Very BIG !
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I've got an opinion for the sake of karma i won't speak!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> I've got an opinion for the sake of karma i won't speak!
I think you just did... kind of.

Chris
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

Chris Abbott wrote:> get rid of the limited run thing
It's a copyright thing with First Star :(

Chris
Bitches... remove the Spy vs Spy track then...
Normal CDs often cost more than we're asking (chart CDs £14.99 anyone?)... and it's the same price as, say, Instant Remedy.
True, if you don't buy online.

I don't understand the Spy vs Spy thing either, is it a running cartoon or something? I guess the answer is yes... but... still its the music to a game from yonks back.
Sure i recorded the event on slay, i could run those thru a high pass filter and pop remover etc.... then write em to a CD and play em in the car .... or even better download their stuff from RKO ... so why buy the cd's ?
Let me know, cos I need to re-record the violin ;)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> still its the music to a game from yonks back.
... well, First star has a lot of IP that's great on mobiles, so they're still quite protective, because they know the value of what they have. It's only what I do for the composers, after all. Knowing the value of their work and not letting people use exploit it in the wrong way...

Also you've got the fact that Spy vs Spy is still running in MAD magazine, who own the copyright on all of Spy vs Spy except that particular game and the music. So you can't use images or logos on the CD because First Star can't grant that permission... and there's the issue of royalties to MAD for this and that, etc. Then lawyers become involved... etc.

Chris
hyperhack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by hyperhack »

I agree with some other peeps here!

I mean, yeah kick up a fuss over something worth fussing about. I remember the Spy vs Spy games and the music and I thought they sucked! Surely cover something else and let first star got *@£# themselves I say! :lol:
C= cult never died it just went away and now

ITS BACK WITH A BANG!
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Yah, but Visa's version of Spy vs Spy is very good, and they were proud of it: hence its inclusion...

Anyway, it's up to the gang where to go next after this, of course.

Chris
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Would it not have been easier to offer SpyVsSpy as a free download from a URL packaged with the CD ? - or is that on shakey ground ?
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

To First Star, their back catalogue including Spy vs Spy is still a commercial property. They are developing a new 3D game based on the characters.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Andreas Wallström wrote:If I can find it, I'll post the mail I got from First Star 5-6 years ago with (R)'s and (C)'s all over the place.

Andreas
Yeah, happened to a couple of other people I know. Legal action was threatened over a compilation of old games.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> is that on shakey ground ?

"But you released that other Back in Time live track free! You should be giving the DVD away!!"

Chris
Cheetor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cheetor »

Slightly off-track, did you get my order for the CD okay Chris with all the problems going on with WorldPay?

Cheers,

Simon
Views in my posts are my own and not necessarily that of Auto Assembly
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Sorry you lost me.... :? Who wants a free DVD ?