C64 Remix awareness

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

AnimaL wrote:i just think that u have to be very carefully with that nice c64 remix scene and it shouldn´t be a worldwide sellout... lately there was that incident with that §#!$? guy named "SCOOTER" who dared to bring out a song which contained the TURRICAN C64 melody!!! i think it shouldn´t come that far...
hyperhack wrote:Thats a good point with Scooter! I heard that track and wondered if he got permission for that! I had a vision of Chris Huelsbeck getting really annoyed and smashing up loads of Scooter albums! Bizarre I know but thats just my imagination! :lol:
...*cough*...
<--- I went that way --->
AnimaL
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AnimaL »

@ larsec

sorry i didn´t know that thread...

very intresting...

but i stay with my point... ;)
Cheetor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cheetor »

I don't think there's anything wrong in having a commercial aspect to the remix scene - afterall, most of us have bought the BIT, Remix64, PPOT and other CDs - and if it helps keep the C64 alive then why not?

Let's be honest, no-one's going to get mega-rich from the C64 or it's music but if someone can make a living from it and help promote the scene at the same time, I don't have a problem with that. It would be great if all the remix CDs were commerically viable and made enough money so that all the BIT Live events didn't lose money and for sites like RKO to have faster servers etc.

As long as things don't get out of hand and commercial aspects od the C64 scene stays within the control of true C64 fans, then I don't think it will stray from what we want it to be and it will stay true to the nature of the scene while still allowing the scene to develop and really be innovative and original.

Just remember, if it wasn't for things like the original BIT CD (which was a commercial release), it would have never have lead to events like BIT Live. 8)
Views in my posts are my own and not necessarily that of Auto Assembly
hyperhack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by hyperhack »

I've got it! I've got it!

BIT LIVE AID!!!!

We are the world, we are the C64! Etc Etc!

Now go on Larsec, make fun out of that, go on, I dare ya! :lol:
C= cult never died it just went away and now

ITS BACK WITH A BANG!
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Oh - Can I Can I Can I !!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Crowded House:
Everywhere Ya Go-oh-oh ... always take the SID-Chip with you.... Everywhere ya Go-oh-oh.... always take the 'puter..... *reprise*
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Another classic from BIT LIVE AID:

"Do they know it's re-mix-es at all?
Heeeear the SID-tune! Let them know it's re-mix-es..."
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

And of course, we cant leave out Micael Jacksons Classic....

"Hear the Siiiiiiiiiiiid, make it sound better -Ace, for you and for me and the entire human race .... there are ..... spectrums dyin, we dont care enough for the living, so-make a better place buy BIT-Live-CD's......."

:lol:
Zzapback
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Zzapback »

:D

This should be a thread on it's own! :D
Keep 'm coming! 8)
The future is Retro...(sorta)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

You no big deal you just a wide pulse
You no big deal you just an ordinary SID

Nik Kershaw sang "Wide Boy" at the original Live Aid...
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

"A Like SID Chips an' a cannot lie, all you brothaz better just comply cos when a star walks in with a commo in his bag - ya pat im on the back and slap im with a tag...."

i like big butts
hyperhack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by hyperhack »

Just been reading some of the posts in this thread and I have to say you guys crack me up!

Someone translate the whole words to a song with a C64 theme and post them in another thread. Get some of the performers to sing it at the next event!

ITS BACK WITH A BANG!
Cirrus

Post by Cirrus »

i just think that u have to be very carefully with that nice c64 remix scene and it shouldn´t be a worldwide sellout... lately there was that incident with that §#!$? guy named "SCOOTER" who dared to bring out a song which contained the TURRICAN C64 melody!!! i think it shouldn´t come that far...
Thats a good point with Scooter! I heard that track and wondered if he got permission for that! I had a vision of Chris Huelsbeck getting really annoyed and smashing up loads of Scooter albums! Bizarre I know but thats just my imagination
Althoug you don't like Scooter there's no need to use bad language, I tend to like scooter so please be factual in your criticism,

Guess noone wanted to check it out but Scooter did get a permission from Chris Huelsbeck.

Here is a quote from http://www.huelsbeck.com

"April 9th 2003: After a long time with no news (Happy 2003 by the way ;) – here is something really cool: The famous German Techno Band Scooter have remixed (with my permission) one of my Turrican melodies for their new album “The Stadium Techno Experience”. The track is called "Level One" and turned out great, a killer dance / trance piece with lot's of power – these guys know what they're doing."

There you have it! [/code]
hyperhack
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by hyperhack »

Thanks for that, obviously some of us are a bit more less informed than others!

However, I would like to point out that I also like Scooter's stuff as well so i'm not slagging him off! Kudos to him for the Level One mix as it is good! I hope Chris Huelsbeck got something out of it thought as the music industry does have a habit of shafting the ones who make it all happen:- The Performers! I'm sure madfiddler Mark would vouch for that!

Didn't realise he had got permission off Mr Huelsbeck, so my hat goes off to him. Maybe more top performers could be persuaded to use some c64 melodies (with permission) in their mixes and give back in time live a mention as well? I'm sure we will all be on Top of the pops one day bopping along in the audience!!!

Well, it would be nice lets face it! 8)

ITS BACK WITH A BANG!
Cirrus

Post by Cirrus »

It seems that Jay Frog (member of Scooter) knew Chris Hülsbeck way back this is from Jay's Frog Biography

"Drawn by the music of the legendary Amiga soundtrack, our frog met up with the producer of the Turrican – Music ( Chris Hülsbeck ) at a trade fair, impressed that our frog asked him to sign his Amiga, the two kept in contact and Jay was invited to that holy grail … the studio !!"

Jay Frog has worked on some other game soundtracks in the 90's with and without Chris Hülsbeck.

Guess Hülsbeck must have got something out of it altough "Level One" was never released as a single which would have more profitable for Hülsbeck than just an Album track.
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

hyperhack wrote:However, I would like to point out that I also like Scooter's stuff as well so i'm not slagging him off! Kudos to him for the Level One mix as it is good! I hope Chris Huelsbeck got something out of it thought as the music industry does have a habit of shafting the ones who make it all happen:- The Performers! I'm sure madfiddler Mark would vouch for that!

I'm sure we will all be on Top of the pops one day bopping along in the audience!!!
:) lol - well put it like this, if the record company are a bunch of w£$nkers then don't expect to get any of the performance money performing on TOTPs let alone being in the audience...!!!