Styles

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
SelectaNovel
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Styles

Post by SelectaNovel »

Hi there,
it's cool that new amigaremixes are submitted more frequently recently. But in my opinion most of them lack a bit of style creation. I mean, they are perfectly mastered, but they are not real remixes...
It would certainly be more interesting if there was more variation from the original, like turning those electro-future-ambient-whatever tracks into hiphop, rock, pop and so on tunes, so that even people from outside the scene could be adressed.
Pleasant anticipation for a new version of an old song is why I actually download a remix, otherwise I'd rather be listening to the original.
seVeneleVen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seVeneleVen »

hi,
... and i create remixes to bring the old songs to a high quality level of sound, with trying to keep their spirit.
no need for more techno, hiphop, rave or whatever. :roll:
(keep in mind that this is my personal opinion.)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

SevenEleven wrote: ... and i create remixes to bring the old songs to a high quality level of sound, with trying to keep their spirit.
That's the way I like it.... I do it the same way... :D

cheers 2Klang
SelectaNovel
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by SelectaNovel »

@Seven Eleven
Don't get me wrong, I really like your arrangements! It's like on my Chris Hülsbeck CDs - listening to the old chiptunes in highend-quality.

But don't you think the other way would be exciting, too? Wouldn't it be challenging to create a whole new track and keeping the atmosphere anyhow?
Have a look at those great Jazz-Mixes of some videogames (i.e. Zelda or Mario Brothers) on remix.overclocked.org.
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

I must say that I agree with Selecta's point made. Although most remixes on Amiga Remix are of great sound quality, there seems to be a lack of own ideas and interpretation. The theme here is to *remix* a track, not to reproduce it using very similar sounds.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that really, unless it's like that with all remixes and the idea of the site goes down the drain.

For instance, the Hippel remixes 711 (can I call you that? :wink: ) are of good sound quality but to be honest, they sound pretty much like the originals. In some cases, I'd even say it sounds like a 4 voice (albeit 16 bit) sample mix. It's cool and fun to listen to, remembering the days, but the kick... it's lacking a little excitement. The same goes for the Wolfchild mix - nice but erm, it's not a remix is it?

I remember that we have had discussions about Amiga mixes in the past wth Chris for instance and one of the worries that kept coming up was that Amiga modules already often have a direction, whereas 64 tunes seem to be made for interpretation. It seems as if that is happening now: The Amiga tune already presents an idea and the arrangers just work with that, bringing it up to modern standards. I'm not sure if this is the right way to go...

Just my thought.

Rafael
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Every original inspires a style to me.
I remix the the way the original tunes suggest me, no more, no less.

And, as always, i remix to satisfy myself, not other people.
Then, if incidentally, my remixes meet the tastes of public, well, good.
If not, i really don't care.

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
seVeneleVen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seVeneleVen »

... very good DHS.

I am composing music myself and remixing amiga-songs is to "relax" and have fun.
and what belongs to the own ideas in these remixes ... you will never find a remix in wich i didn't build in an own part, bridge or melody.
SelectaNovel
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by SelectaNovel »

SevenEleven wrote:
... very good DHS.

I am composing music myself and remixing amiga-songs is to "relax" and have fun.
and what belongs to the own ideas in these remixes ... you will never find a remix in wich i didn't build in an own part, bridge or melody.
My, my... :roll:
I never doubted that boys...seems like you are so scared of bad critics that you already defend before they are even made. My topic was only supposed to be a proposal, nothing more.

However, I don't believe that any artist (whatever his or her arts would be) only produces for him- or herself...and doesn't give a damn if people don't like it.
That is not a lack of self-confidence. It's just progress.

Thank you for understanding me, Rafael.

Seems like we have to do those styles we want to hear by ourselves :D (which does not mean we don't want to hear yours, DHS and SE!)

peace
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

The only reason I can see to do a cover that isn't a complete stylistic remix is to remedy something that was missing in the source material
itself. That could be anything, of course, from an arpeggio to a full
orchestral treatment. I'd love to hear an authentic version of
"Puggs in Space", but the original is now a bit coarse and aged
to my ears. So stuff would be added, but for me the 1:1ness would be
worthwhile.

For some people the only thing missing from SIDs is drum loops, so that's
what they do...

Originally when I started in 1994 I was trying to add the instruments
I could hear in my head to the SID stuff. It was a personal thing. The covers were pretty much 1:1, and much appreciated for being so
at the time, since at that stage it was a novelty to hear a SID so
accurately presented in MIDI format (before SID2MIDI, I might add).

Of course with some of the popular C64 pieces, there are already
pretty good 1:1 covers, which leaves only room for slightly more esoteric
approaches.

And (back to the point) for some Amiga remixes, there is much
less sonic deficiency in the source material if the MOD was programmed
well. And so no compelling reason to remix unless you can hear in your
mind's ear that it should be different.

Or something.
seVeneleVen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seVeneleVen »

exactly chris,
and the fact that i work with my ears and not a mod2mid converter or something like that is, to pay the respect to the composer for his work.
and if theres nothing to add then theres nothing to add.

there are many c64-/amiga-songs wich sound better in "modern quality". and there are many wich don't. i've never heard a sanxion or last ninja 1-level 1 remix wich sounds better or equal as the original.

@SelectaNovel
oh i am not scared of bad critics ... in fact there are no good or bad critics - only qualified and unqualified critics.
its just as i sad ... its my opinion.

let everyone mix what they want to mix.
no hate, war or whatever in this forum. :)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

SevenEleven wrote: @SelectaNovel
oh i am not scared of bad critics ... in fact there are no good or bad critics - only qualified and unqualified critics.
its just as i sad ... its my opinion.

let everyone mix what they want to mix.
no hate, war or whatever in this forum. :)
a very good point of view... :wink:

cheers 2Klang
Larsec
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Larsec »

I'm just a fan of whatever sounds good. Keeping the original 'feel' of the SID/mod isn't a very high prority to me, if at all. There's nothing wrong with doing 1:1 covers of the originals... It's just that it has already been done, you already have the original to give you the original feel. I always considered remixing as reinventing the track, adding and deducting...

Whatever sounds good is fine with me, whether it be a 1:1 cover or a remix that turns the original upside down :)
<--- I went that way --->
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

There was a similar discussion recently on the c64rmx yahoogroup. Well here are my 2 cents:

It is essential to have both kinds of remixes, 1 to 1 covers can be as pleasant as completely minced and remixed tracks with only traces of the original left.

Variety roolz! :D

- LMan
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

SelectaNovel wrote:My, my... :roll:
I never doubted that boys...seems like you are so scared of bad critics that you already defend before they are even made. My topic was only supposed to be a proposal, nothing more.
MMM... maybe i was a little rude. No will, i was just in hurry.
I'm not scared of critics (good or bad), it's only that nowadays i
really take very little account of them.
Maybe i'm just too much proud of what i do, and trust too much my
opinion over other people opinions, but I see how people vote,
what they like and dislike...
However, I don't believe that any artist (whatever his or her arts would be) only produces for him- or herself...and doesn't give a damn if people don't like it.
That is not a lack of self-confidence. It's just progress.
when i make a commercial work i have to follow guidelines, guidelines dictated by the market or by the one who wants me to make something.
When i make remixes for my pleasure, be sure, i really don't care what are people tastes.

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/