SID Tracker that works on PC

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

SID Tracker that works on PC

Post by Romeo Knight »

Hey there,

Dax of Brainstorm is searching for a program to compose SIDs on PC.
Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Goattracker is a great program, BUT...

If he want's to play the resulting file on a real C64 (as a .PRG or .SID file), Goattracker can do it BUT it takes a lot of messing around with yet another program (GoatTracker Tweak Utility ) to actually get it to sound anywhere near the same as it did on the PC. :(

Emulation of DMC using VICE actually gave me far better results, but I personally ended up going with Prophet 64 and a real C64 in the end. SID programming is hard enough with all of its inherent bugs without having to worry about crossing platforms at the end of it all!

Just my experience of it all... :D
Dafunk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Dafunk »

Tonka wrote:Goattracker is a great program, BUT...

If he want's to play the resulting file on a real C64 (as a .PRG or .SID file), Goattracker can do it BUT it takes a lot of messing around with yet another program (GoatTracker Tweak Utility ) to actually get it to sound anywhere near the same as it did on the PC. :(

Emulation of DMC using VICE actually gave me far better results, but I personally ended up going with Prophet 64 and a real C64 in the end. SID programming is hard enough with all of its inherent bugs without having to worry about crossing platforms at the end of it all!

Just my experience of it all... :D
I didn't work with Goattracker much, but when there was a Goattracker compo i remember a SIDPlayer playing goatsids on c64, so it sounded pretty much ok, dunno. But I myself rather stick to dmc and jch on the real thing...
CreaMD
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by CreaMD »

Goattracker uses the same emulation as Sidplay2/w (resid engine) so it's pretty accurate. It's a bit difficult to start doing SID music without knowledge about analogue chip composing but it's not that hard with all the demo songs around.

Some great musicians restarted their composing for C64 thanx to GoatTracker and some great new musicians appeared in the C64 scene thanx to it.

If you need examples what can be done on GoatTracker check Jammer's stuff in HVSC. It's state of the art SID music composing (some tunes even attempt to imitate vocoder speech, worth checking)
http://www.c64.sk - C64 Scene News