Alien Syndrome [Tune 4] - Rough Work Mix

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Exit

Alien Syndrome [Tune 4] - Rough Work Mix

Post by Exit »

I finally have made it nearly through my first 'remix', which is actually just a remake. I've been jamming to c64 tunes since the 80s, when I used to record the best tracks and tried getting other people to listen. Years later, I came across the remix community around 2002 - I had no idea that so many people fell in love with SID tunes.

One thing I have heard are endless remixes of Cosmic Bakery and Lightforce, I promise not to go there. I hope to produce some tracks that some of you will enjoy as much as I have enjoyed the tracks I've heard on SlayRadio. Instead, my aim is to bring to the front some lost treasures.

My first work was on 'Energy Warriors', which I never completed. I still intend to. A couple nights ago I finally kicked my own ass to finish a remake of Alien Syndrome instead of work for money for my car payment. I'm happy to say that I've got something going, but it is very rough and I'd like to get some feedback which might motivate me to actually finish this!

You can hear my track here:
http://exitof99.com/c64_Remixes/
Direct Link:
"http://www.exitof99.com/download.html?i ... ix1mm].mp3"
Mayhem
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Alien Syndrome [Tune 4] - Rough Work Mix

Post by Mayhem »

You know, I've been waiting for someone to try their hand at this, I think it's one of my favourite "unremixed" C64 tracks...

Brutal honesty here, it's very rough, but you do warn us on that. I hate the dual leads being slightly out of tone, I rather got used to them over the course of the mix but my ears were cringing to begin with. And it could do with a punchier and fuller bass unlaying the leads. It's got promise but you've got plenty more work to bring it up to releasable status...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Exit

Re: Alien Syndrome [Tune 4] - Rough Work Mix

Post by Exit »

Absolutely regarding the violins, but I'm not a violinist/violist. I'm planning on finding someone to lay down that melody to replace the c64 track and the part I recorded was just for a place holder. I have a friend that plays viola with an orchestra that would be perfect, but she is 1000 miles away now. If anyone plays viola/violin and can make a recording, I'd certainly appreciate help with that.

It might be important to note that nothing in this remake will be programmed, although I will be manipulating certain tracks. This is more of a proof-of-concept at this stage and many of the parts need to be recorded again. I make rough cuts to decide what to do next as well as work on the mixing. Everything is recorded on an Alesis HD-24 ADAT and mixed via a Behringer board. I do have Cubase, but I don't like doing digital mixing so it will not sound polished instantly.