Advice on which to buy?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
MartinStatic
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Advice on which to buy?

Post by MartinStatic »

For the same price, I can get a Korg Prophecy, MicroKorg, or MicroKorg XL...Yeah I know you'll probably say the MicroKorg XL, but the layout seems much more minimal on it which I don't like.

Advice?
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Advice on which to buy?

Post by Doddsy »

At the end of the day it depends what you want to use it for. The Prophecy is a mono synth compared to the other two options so its good for leads and harsh synth lines. I think you could prob get a good enough sound to match the prophecy as well from the microkorgs.

Get the Microkorg XL for an allrounder.

Get the Prophecy for its Ribbon Controller and reputation as a solid lead synth.
MartinStatic
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by MartinStatic »

Thanks for replying (finally!) I shall go for the xl, it seems the best choice....Ill probably get the the other two eventually one by one as time goes on :)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

MartinStatic wrote:Thanks for replying (finally!) I shall go for the xl, it seems the best choice....Ill probably get the the other two eventually one by one as time goes on :)
I think that was the wisest of choices... the Korg Prophecy is an old machine, and it's monophonic! ... the Microkorg is 4-voice, but very popular... and the new one is a descendant of the KORG Radias which is KORG's newst virtual analog technology.

I've heard the analog emulation of the Radias/R3, and it sound very convincing to my ears, so I bet the Microkorg XL will be just as cool...

We are seing more and more of these types of budget keyboards... Alesis has the Micron, AKAI had just launched a new keyboard as well... Novation makes the XioSynth and Roland the SH-201... and waldorf has just put out their keyboard version of the Blofeld, which simply blow all the others away in features (soundwise it will not win in my point of view though).

If I was to get one, I'd most likely choose either the KORG R3, or Roland SH-201 because of their sound, rather than features.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).