Jean Michel Jarre world tour?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Jean Michel Jarre world tour?

Post by Analog-X64 »

I guess I subscribed to a JMJ newsletter sometime ago and I just got a note on the 2010 world tour.

http://www.jeanmicheljarre.com/tour-2010

I guess Canada is not part of the world, neither is the U.S.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Jean Michel Jarre world tour?

Post by Infamous »

The o2 arena? Might be something to consider giving to my stepdad. He's a jarre fan (unlike me I just can't get into him at all) has been most of his life its probably more his fault than jeans too that I dislike his music. Thanks for the heads up on this though it'd make a great early birthday present for the old guy :-)
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Infamous wrote:The o2 arena? Might be something to consider giving to my stepdad. He's a jarre fan (unlike me I just can't get into him at all) has been most of his life its probably more his fault than jeans too that I dislike his music. Thanks for the heads up on this though it'd make a great early birthday present for the old guy :-)
Jarre is a funny "thing" really... in the beginning I could not stand his music, and my friend actually played him constantly... that was back in the 80's and actually when I was happily playing with my C64.

Today he is one of my absolute favourite musicians, but mostly his older stuff though... it seems it's anything with Michel Geiss that has my interrest the most, so if this is because of HIM, or the influence he had on the MACHINERY he helped Jarre with, I do not know... one thing I know for certain is, that I like the sound of the old analogue gear, and I have not yet heard him compose anything NEW on old gear.... unfortunately.

I guess that either you love his music, or you do not... I guess what makes ME like the first of his music is it's extreme mood it sets in me... a Space Melancholy kind of feeling... I've not found much other music that create that mood... you are instantly away into space when listening to the early records.

Maybe it's because of my fondness of old analogue gear that I suddenly like his music?... I cannot say really, cause like you Infy, liking rhythmically and energetic music better (that's the impression I get from your music), most of my younger age (end 80's and through the 90's) I atually was extremely conservative when it came to music... I disliked anything with vocals on it, and anything less than 128BPM was not interresting... I listened to all the early Tehno and Hardcore music out there, and all I did myself was this style. So why Jarre became such an influence I still have no idear. Maybe it's because of my fondness of Dungeons & Dragons, which certainly got me interrested in folk-lore music and specially moody music.

These days I actually find the mainstream Unzy tunes boring to say the least... now they sound good for a dance, and is not bad music at all, but it simply gets too "mee too!" and "heard it all before!" like in the end... that's why I do not produce much music in the style of my older Terra Cresta tune anymore... I find it too simple, and like if I heard one such type of music, I've heard them all. I find no challenge in them anymore (making them), and listening to them only puts me in a party mood (which I'm getting too old for... really :roll: )

The music that inspires me are Jarre's... Vangelis, Kitaro, Redshift, Mike Oldfield... big "universes" of sound textures that keep me entranced.

Am I getting old and weird? :lol: :confusion:
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Razmo wrote:
Infamous wrote:The o2 arena? Might be something to consider giving to my stepdad. He's a jarre fan (unlike me I just can't get into him at all) has been most of his life its probably more his fault than jeans too that I dislike his music. Thanks for the heads up on this though it'd make a great early birthday present for the old guy :-)
Jarre is a funny "thing" really... in the beginning I could not stand his music, and my friend actually played him constantly... that was back in the 80's and actually when I was happily playing with my C64.

Today he is one of my absolute favourite musicians, but mostly his older stuff though... it seems it's anything with Michel Geiss that has my interrest the most, so if this is because of HIM, or the influence he had on the MACHINERY he helped Jarre with, I do not know... one thing I know for certain is, that I like the sound of the old analogue gear, and I have not yet heard him compose anything NEW on old gear.... unfortunately.

I guess that either you love his music, or you do not... I guess what makes ME like the first of his music is it's extreme mood it sets in me... a Space Melancholy kind of feeling... I've not found much other music that create that mood... you are instantly away into space when listening to the early records.

Maybe it's because of my fondness of old analogue gear that I suddenly like his music?... I cannot say really, cause like you Infy, liking rhythmically and energetic music better (that's the impression I get from your music), most of my younger age (end 80's and through the 90's) I atually was extremely conservative when it came to music... I disliked anything with vocals on it, and anything less than 128BPM was not interresting... I listened to all the early Tehno and Hardcore music out there, and all I did myself was this style. So why Jarre became such an influence I still have no idear. Maybe it's because of my fondness of Dungeons & Dragons, which certainly got me interrested in folk-lore music and specially moody music.

These days I actually find the mainstream Unzy tunes boring to say the least... now they sound good for a dance, and is not bad music at all, but it simply gets too "mee too!" and "heard it all before!" like in the end... that's why I do not produce much music in the style of my older Terra Cresta tune anymore... I find it too simple, and like if I heard one such type of music, I've heard them all. I find no challenge in them anymore (making them), and listening to them only puts me in a party mood (which I'm getting too old for... really :roll: )

The music that inspires me are Jarre's... Vangelis, Kitaro, Redshift, Mike Oldfield... big "universes" of sound textures that keep me entranced.

Old, maybe: you were always weird ;-)

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Like my brother, I've gone off Jarre in recent years.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

Razmo wrote: These days I actually find the mainstream Unzy tunes boring to say the least... now they sound good for a dance, and is not bad music at all, but it simply gets too "mee too!" and "heard it all before!" like in the end... that's why I do not produce much music in the style of my older Terra Cresta tune anymore... I find it too simple, and like if I heard one such type of music, I've heard them all. I find no challenge in them anymore (making them), and listening to them only puts me in a party mood (which I'm getting too old for... really :roll: )
aahhh you mean like David Guetta and his peers and followers that have saturating the dance scene with that same plinky plonky sound (lady gaga again!.. or akon) that you get which I believe he inherited off of another band (the egg) and has managed to make quite a career out of it .. I know exactly what you mean DJ'ing it most weekends I find it increasingly difficult to keep things fresh sounding and the crowds tend to want these chart topping tracks played far more than something interesting I got off of an import label from kazakhistan or something even if that tune happens to be flipping awesome... Though I have to admit to having put my hands in the air a few times and getting into it a bit more than my age should allow on more than one occasion thanks to mr guetta, something insanely infectuous .. bit like an STD really.

Bands worth looking at if you want to hear the different side of dance music right now are ones like MSTRKRFT, Justice, Soulwax, subfocus (though put some cotton wool in your ears to protect yourself he likes bass), todd terry who despite being 50 odd is still writing cutting edge music which I think gives us all a tiny glimmer of hope that we can still be cool when we get a bit wrinkly lol .. They are constantly pushing things in different directions and what really makes the 1st three i mentioned stand out for me is the fact that they can pack up and play festivals as a live band and if need be, do stand alone dj'ing or a mixture of both.

OH !! And your never too old to have a bit of a dance about the place! :-D

anyway.. slight derailment lol.. back to the jarre.

He's definitely an aquired taste I guess I just got so turned off by it as a kid because as i said it got shoved down my throat all the bloody time, my stepdad knew I was a keen musician and I got given keyboards and stuff for my birthday and xmas etc I think deep down he hoped id catch the jarre bug and start writing soundscapes myself .. which from listening to my music never did quite happen I went totally the other way.

Though strangely I DO Like tangerine dream, brian eno, harold budd, jan hammer etc and other minimal/synth artists and have tried more than once to write something "nice" using them as inspiration.
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Chris Abbott wrote:
Razmo wrote:

Old, maybe: you were always weird ;-)

Chris
Well, you're right on that one Chris (I have papers documenting my "claims" :lol: ), but rather happy and weird, than normal and bored to death :lol:
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Razmo »

Infamous wrote:
Razmo wrote: These days I actually find the mainstream Unzy tunes boring to say the least... now they sound good for a dance, and is not bad music at all, but it simply gets too "mee too!" and "heard it all before!" like in the end... that's why I do not produce much music in the style of my older Terra Cresta tune anymore... I find it too simple, and like if I heard one such type of music, I've heard them all. I find no challenge in them anymore (making them), and listening to them only puts me in a party mood (which I'm getting too old for... really :roll: )
aahhh you mean like David Guetta and his peers and followers that have saturating the dance scene with that same plinky plonky sound (lady gaga again!.. or akon) that you get which I believe he inherited off of another band (the egg) and has managed to make quite a career out of it .. I know exactly what you mean DJ'ing it most weekends I find it increasingly difficult to keep things fresh sounding and the crowds tend to want these chart topping tracks played far more than something interesting I got off of an import label from kazakhistan or something even if that tune happens to be flipping awesome... Though I have to admit to having put my hands in the air a few times and getting into it a bit more than my age should allow on more than one occasion thanks to mr guetta, something insanely infectuous .. bit like an STD really.

Bands worth looking at if you want to hear the different side of dance music right now are ones like MSTRKRFT, Justice, Soulwax, subfocus (though put some cotton wool in your ears to protect yourself he likes bass), todd terry who despite being 50 odd is still writing cutting edge music which I think gives us all a tiny glimmer of hope that we can still be cool when we get a bit wrinkly lol .. They are constantly pushing things in different directions and what really makes the 1st three i mentioned stand out for me is the fact that they can pack up and play festivals as a live band and if need be, do stand alone dj'ing or a mixture of both.

OH !! And your never too old to have a bit of a dance about the place! :-D

anyway.. slight derailment lol.. back to the jarre.

He's definitely an aquired taste I guess I just got so turned off by it as a kid because as i said it got shoved down my throat all the bloody time, my stepdad knew I was a keen musician and I got given keyboards and stuff for my birthday and xmas etc I think deep down he hoped id catch the jarre bug and start writing soundscapes myself .. which from listening to my music never did quite happen I went totally the other way.

Though strangely I DO Like tangerine dream, brian eno, harold budd, jan hammer etc and other minimal/synth artists and have tried more than once to write something "nice" using them as inspiration.

Well... this just proves, that music is not only HEARD, but sensed with all your senses... Many times what makes us like a special type of music is not just the sound itself, but also what we see, read and all the kulture around it... so it's logical that you disgust Jarre, if you only remember him as something that had to be forced down your throat.

I don't believe that you HAVE to start listening to classical music, just because you're getting older, but I do believe that we start to move in different directions really... when I was younger, stomping away in clubs, the focus was of course heavy hardcore and Rave music... I also still listen to this type of music, but rarely... these day my life tend to be more on the "retired side of life", and as this happens, my interrest in relaxing music has become more apparent. I guess you basically "hear what you are".

I recall clearly debating with my best friend (who is also into Techno etc), how our life would be when we end up in an old people's house in the future... remember we had long fascinating idears about rolling around in wheelchairs, with speakerstands on either site, and 3km of cords behind us :rofl: ... I'm not so sure anymore to be honest..... but a few days a year this way could be fun :duh:

Basically, the only band of agressive music I hear these days are Icon of Coil really... in general I want new music to be unique, otherwise I get bored rather quickly... I like musicians who dare stand out, and do not care about what people think, or what it will bring in economically... what I call "The True Artist"... I don't know why, but if everyone start to praise something, I usualy loose interrest in it rather quickly... don't know why :?

Another reason I believe that I've changed direction over the last 5 years is that when I think back to the time I listened to Rave and Techno ad libitum, I was ALWAYS a pioneer in regard to what I heard... I newer followed mainstream music, so when I went to local clubs, I had a f****** hard time making them play what I wanted to hear, simply because it was "too wild!"... it was back then when people called SNAP's "Rhythm is a Dancer" for "Techno"... I laughed back then I remember... so when the Trance era started, I was besically fed up with this style and onto something new...
Doddsy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Doddsy »

Nice to see Jarre awarded a life time achievement award from MOJO though I don't think his musical career has quite finished yet!
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Freaky coincidence:
Just bought "Les concerts en chine" and I can't recommend that album.
All is lost.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

It always irritated me that proper studio versions of some tracks weren't recorded, especially Arpegiator. Luckily, Chris Bern did as close to a one-to-one cover as you'll ever hear: YouTube | MP3s.