BIT Lite / Rv - Comments

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

You dont need battle armour on here :)

*cuddly cuddly place - oh yes*
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Slick2097 wrote:Oh, one side question, the filler music that was played between acts, which cd was that one? it sounded rather good.
The wonders of technology means I can tell you exactly what I played and when :)

19:44 Danceaway - Tribal Dance (The Arrival)
19:48 Danceaway - Retro Dance (The Arrival)
19:56 Jereon Breebart - Kinetix - Tune2
20:00 Lagerfeldt - R-Type
20:03 Lagerfeldt - Angel
20:07 Glyn R. Brown - Rastan
20:13 Reyn Ouwenhand - Asian Legends (Nexus 6581)

- Hey Hey 16K, PPOT, Rob + Mark played live!

21:27 Danceaway - I Want Your Body (The Arrival)
21:33 Reyn Ouwenhand - Bombo (Nexus 6581-II)
21:36 Press Play On Tape - Comic Bakery
21:40 Jereon Breebart - Kinetix - Tune 2 (Because Ziphoid loves it!)

- Some band called SID80's started playing!

22:45 Kraku - Speedball Remix 2004 (Because Boz loves it!)
22:48 DHS - Follow Me
22:52 Chris Abbott - Thing on a Spring (Because Markie loves it!)
22:57 909 Sadist - Cauldron II
23:00 Wobbler - Overlame
23:02 Instant Remedy - Last Ninja Wastelands (IR Album)

At this point I got bored and needed some air so just put Danceaway's The Arrival album on shuffle until around 23:30 when it all came to an end.
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sidman 64 »

skitz wrote:
Slick2097 wrote:Oh, one side question, the filler music that was played between acts, which cd was that one? it sounded rather good.
The wonders of technology means I can tell you exactly what I played and when :)

19:44 Danceaway - Tribal Dance (The Arrival)
19:48 Danceaway - Retro Dance (The Arrival)
19:56 Jereon Breebart - Kinetix - Tune2
20:00 Lagerfeldt - R-Type
20:03 Lagerfeldt - Angel
20:07 Glyn R. Brown - Rastan
20:13 Reyn Ouwenhand - Asian Legends (Nexus 6581)

- Hey Hey 16K, PPOT, Rob + Mark played live!

21:27 Danceaway - I Want Your Body (The Arrival)
21:33 Reyn Ouwenhand - Bombo (Nexus 6581-II)
21:36 Press Play On Tape - Comic Bakery
21:40 Jereon Breebart - Kinetix - Tune 2 (Because Ziphoid loves it!)

- Some band called SID80's started playing!

22:45 Kraku - Speedball Remix 2004 (Because Boz loves it!)
22:48 DHS - Follow Me
22:52 Chris Abbott - Thing on a Spring (Because Markie loves it!)
22:57 909 Sadist - Cauldron II
23:00 Wobbler - Overlame
23:02 Instant Remedy - Last Ninja Wastelands (IR Album)

At this point I got bored and needed some air so just put Danceaway's The Arrival album on shuffle until around 23:30 when it all came to an end.
Hey Paul

Just to say a BIG THANKS for playing my album mate :D
Also Pete say's a MEGA BIG THANKS for all the help you gave him over the weekend :wink:
Top guy & great to meet you

Danceaway :wink:
Slick2097
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Slick2097 »

Excellent matey, thanks for the list. Will hopefully help figureing out which ones I wanted easier :) (not that any were bad, all top quality, just some peaked my interest a bit more)

Technology, isn't it marvelous. :P

* wonders about the pop comment ... *

Ste.
Slick2097
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Slick2097 »

* Having read yakyak, no-longer needs to wonder about the pop comment. *

... last time I take iPod guy anywhere I can tell you!

Ste.
docpi

Post by docpi »

zakalwe wrote:
merman wrote: - and it took a few moments to click (I blame the cider) that during Paperboy, there was a paperboy making a delivery to the stage :D
Yeah... took me a good couple of minutes to work that one out as well! maybe if he'd been on a bike as well I'd have got it sooner!

Jeremy
On a bike? In that cramped room? Like Meat Loaf in the Rocky Horror Picture Show? Only to splat against the wall on the right-hand side of the stage?
Goodness, the C64 scene crowd surely makes a demanding audience!

(ahem)

Yes. I confess. It was me.

And it was even a completely spontaneous, unplanned move concocted while the Paperboy skit was already in full swing!

- Inspiration strikes

So I was sitting there at the central table in the first row and enjoyed the show with this Back in Time Live poster (the dark red one with the spaceship crashed on an alien landscape) lying on it in front of me.
I had just recently pondered the thought that the fundamental, driving force behind this event was a revival concert of old times recalling memories sweet youth. The poster was taking up a lot of space and since I already had quite a lot of them, I was wondering what to do with this one when I realized that the band was playing Paperboy!

The idea clicked.
It was just a natural thought to follow the cue the band unknowingly had provided and so I decided to create the legend (and gag) of the band magically summoning into real life a game character by playing its music.

I was also wearing a baseball cap by pure coincidence and thought "To hell with the aesthetic distance between the audience and the performers! This opportunity is too good to be wasted!".

- Improvisation theatre

Since the idea for the gag had come to me some good time after the band had started playing the Paperboy tune, I did not know how much time I had left to carry out the deed. Time was running out and I did not even know how much of it was left.
(cue, dramatic chord. start holding your breaths now)

So I rolled up the poster at first with the picture side out and realized that in the lighting, the dark print would not show well for the audience to recognize in time. Hence, I rolled it up again with the white backside out and then wondered how to keep the poster rolled up like that so it could be thrown and fly properly in a high, visible arc without flapping apart in mid-air. That would have spoiled both the gag and the gig, along with the general good mood altogether.

I also did not want to damage the poster, so I dismissed the option of folding the ends of the tube inside to provide structural strength at the expense of the poster.
Yes, even under time pressure, I am categorically against senselessly damaging perfectly good material.

Then I looked around for the ubiquitous rubber band on the floor (usually on the prowl to hitch up the equally ubiquitous paper clip for some adventurous and kinky bending and stretching action), but I failed to find any. I had some string in my bag, but that would have had to be cut to proper length, there were no scissors in sight and judging from a recent precedent that had made the news, asking around in these our times in the UK for a box cutter would probably have prompted plain clothes security men to quickly rearrange my brainmatter in an abstract pattern across the floor. As much as I appreciate contemporary art, I prefer not be "part" of it.

So I walked up to the merchandise table next to the stage and asked for a rubber band. They also had none, but I discovered a small rectangular plastic bag lying around there not only being the right size, but also open along its short side. Perfect! I took it, carefully ripped open its other, sealed short side, slid it over the rolled up poster tube and was very, very happy. Nerves of steel and fool's luck eh?
The band was still playing Paperboy!

So, I grabbed all the courage I could build up while I walked the three steps to the side of the stage, tried to figure out while crouching into position how to wobble properly to make a somewhat convincing bicycle riding walk (Who says watching Monty Python's Silly Walk sketch is not educational?), rearranged my baseball cap - and did it.

- And Action!

I knew I could do this only once and I had to get it right the first time.

Besides the fact that the gag would not have been funny any more on a second attempt, depending on how the first attempt would have been received, I also did not know whether I would have had a second chance, physically speaking.

I hobbled along in front of the stage and midway through tossed my "newspaper" onto the stage. Since the stage was not too wide, it was only three initial steps, a toss and three more steps to complete the ride. And to appear convincing in the act, I really could not stop midway, turn, aim, toss, turn back and then hobble on.

BESIDES, you also cannot do that in Paperboy.

Ah, the level of authenticity would be breathtaking if you were not holding yours already, eh? (Those of you who have turned blue already may breathe now again. Also the ones feeling inclined or merciful enough to laugh at the two and a half lame punchlines featured in the current paragraph).

I aimed only very generally into the quickly-spotted, relatively more open space between the performers at the center of the stage. Also, the tossing angle had to be just right as to whirl visibly without disrupting the show in its flow and then land in the middle of the stage (and not behind it or hit the drummer) without ricocheting off the ceiling and setting an unwanted course to The Land of Unfathomable Liability Insurance Claims.

But it went well enough. I heard a single burst of laughter from somewhere in the audience (maybe second or third row, center-to-right) by the time I reached the wall at the end of the stage.
To the unknown fan: Thank you.

As a defusing motion, I turned around and bowed with a Thai "wai" gesture. That also helped me deal with the mild but solid feeling of embarrassment that was trying to get the better of me, now that my little bold, unscripted and unauthorized performance was over.
Call it post-action stage fright, if you will.

I was happy that it went well, all things considered.

- (No) Epilogue

I also wanted to write a few paragraphs explaining how the humor worked on a technical level in this case and why Paperboy offered a much better opportunity over other themes, like, say, "Forbidden Forest" or "Comic Bakery" or "Deflektor", and how much I feared that my little gag could have set a precedent for possibly lame and really embarrassing follow-ups.

But since I have been writing this posting here for the better part of an afternoon while I was supposed to work at a scheduled translation instead, I shall postpone that for another posting (post-pone, get it? get it?).

So, cheers from your friendly Paperboy.
And do not forget to pay for either your subscription - or your window glass insurance.

Daniel
Last edited by docpi on 20/09/2005 - 19:29, edited 5 times in total.
Eternally stuck in the eighties, because it was the golden age of computer gaming perfectly timed to contribute to a fascinating youth.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, although I didn't get it at the time, I appreciate the amount of thought that went into it: Back in Time Live events are kind of founded on "moments", and this was definitely one of them :)

So, thanks for a "moment". And thanks also for making sure you didn't accidentally cripple a band member!

Chris
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

I didn't even notice :(
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

neither did i
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Daniel, it was SUPERB. Well done on your little piece of improv.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Kenz
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Kenz »

I saw it ... But didn't get it until Natz explained the gag to me. :oops:

Nice 1 Daniel! :D
New Commercial 8-BIT Games NOW AVAILABLE! - http://www.psytronik.net
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

Kenz wrote:I saw it ... But didn't get it until Natz explained the gag to me. :oops:

Nice 1 Daniel! :D
lol . . me too . . . good effort sir!
Slick2097
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Slick2097 »

I saw it, I didn't understand until I read about it on here tho.

A great gag (looking back) and well done on the improv matey. :)

Inspired.

Ste.
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Re: BIT Lite / Rv - Comments

Post by Subzero »

Revicing this old topic for a reason, did anyone make a copy of ALL the photos i had uploaded to my now *deed* webpage??

I'd really like to see them again for some reason!