Which song to remix? and Other Advice Needed.

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Which song to remix? and Other Advice Needed.

Post by Analog-X64 »

Well I have finally picked two songs that I'd like to remix, I'm not sure if I will reveal what they are. :blush: until they are remixed and released.

I have a few issues with each song.

First Song has this Deep Bassline which has a long release sort of like a string, and a Main Lead line again is a nice fat string with a long release. I cant seem to find suitable replacements for either. I thought about sampling the real thing and altering the sample in some way what do you think?

Second Song has some very fast notes being played which Ear to Midi is not recognizing, again thinking about Sampling it, but I know using original Sid samples is frowned upon and I rather avoid it if possible.

Just wondering how should I approach these? Any Tips? :help:
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> but I know using original Sid samples is frowned upon

No it isn't!! This is a C64 SID Comminity!!

Now, using entire SID tracks and adding only one rhythmic part which hasn't been created by you is frowned on, but using SID samples in a good remix isn't.

Who is doing this mythical frowning? Where did this notion come from? Because it's really not true.

Chris
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Ahh thanks for explaining it Chris I missunderstood thinking using any Sid Samples was frowned upon :) Thanks for clearing that up. I can use samples where "Ear to Midi" doesnt work ;)

Chris Abbott wrote:> but I know using original Sid samples is frowned upon

Now, using entire SID tracks and adding only one rhythmic part which hasn't been created by you is frowned on, but using SID samples in a good remix isn't.

Who is doing this mythical frowning? Where did this notion come from? Because it's really not true.

Chris
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Analog-X wrote:Ahh thanks for explaining it Chris I missunderstood thinking using any Sid Samples was frowned upon :) Thanks for clearing that up. I can use samples where "Ear to Midi" doesnt work ;)

Chris Abbott wrote:> but I know using original Sid samples is frowned upon

Chris
And sometimes the SID is just the best sound for the job... it can be very evocative in the way a replacement sample couldn't match.

Chris