startrek.com likely to close end of the year

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

startrek.com likely to close end of the year

Post by LMan »

Not enough that they've cancelled "Enterprise", now this:
TrekToday wrote:Tim Gaskill, editorial director at the official Star Trek web site, has sent out an e-mail to people involved with Star Trek to alert them that Paramount Digital Entertainment will be shut down at the end of the year, leaving the fate of StarTrek.com in limbo.

"As if we needed further reminding that the fate of Star Trek is a tenuous one at best, it has been announced that Paramount Digital Entertainment, the home to STARTREK.COM since 1996, is shutting its doors as of 12/31/05," Gaskill wrote to current and former Paramount and Star Trek staffers. "Rather than go quietly, we are in the midst of preparing a presentation for the powers-that-be designed to show the vast scope and depth to the site, and how it is a 'go to' site for anyone in the world in search of Star Trek information."

Gaskill noted that the split of Viacom and CBS had cost many jobs on the Paramount lot. Moreover, he explained that the division of the giant media corporation had not yet settled Star Trek with either Paramount Pictures or the television production division: "We think CBS will be taking it over. (Even though it will be forever identified as a Paramount product.) As a result of this lack of clarification on the ownership of the franchise, the fate of STARTREK.COM also hangs in the balance."

Gaskill asked people involved with Star Trek whether they would be willing to write testimonials on behalf of StarTrek.com to use in the presentation to try to preserve the web site. "It would be very gratefully received," he said, admitting that his own job, which has included recording commentary for podcasts, is one that will terminate at the end of 2005 unless new plans are made for the site.

"This is a great franchise and it would be sad to see it sink into an abyss of lost TV and movie franchises. I would like to think that we could do better...STARTREK.COM is used not only by fans of the show, but by licensees to promote their products, various Paramount departments (including production), convention organizers, news organizations, advertisers, etc." Gaskill concluded, saying that the site's value for the franchise and the studio would be difficult to assess.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I've just watched the entire Enterprise from season 1 to season 4. Its a great series, in fact I haven't enjoyed Star Trek for a long time as much as I've enjoyed Enterprise. I'm really going to miss it. This news makes it worse. I also read that the actor playing LaForce in Next Generation has called to halt all further series and let Enterprise be the last series. I sure hope noone listens to him. :roll: In some respects I enjoy Enterprise even more than The Next Generation. Bah...
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

yep, sad news.... :(

ifadeo
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

Bumhats!

Lets make sure history never forgets the name, Enterprise
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

@exoskeleton: Just read up on the Geordi LaForge guy (LeVar Burton).
saveenterprise.com wrote:LeVAR BURTON: 'SCRAP STAR TREK'

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION star LeVAR BURTON has begged TV bosses never to make another new Star Trek show and allow the sci-fi series to rest in piece.

The actor - who played LIEUTENANT COMMANDER GEORDI LA FORGE on both the big and small screens from 1987 until his final appearance in 2002 movie STAR TREK: NEMESIS - hopes the last series of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE, from 2001, will be the very last.

And Burton is threatening to get nasty if executives ignore his pleas.

He says, "Star Trek coming to an end is long overdue.

"They ran it into the ground and made so much Star Trek that it ceased to be special. If they bring this back before a decade is out I will get a high-powered weapon and start picking off studio executives."
He actually directed several "Enterprise" episodes. It seems that the Star Trek creative staff got tired of making Trek after so many years. I can fairly understand that - but I hate that "If we don't have it, nobody should" attitude, that has convinced execs to kill off the show. The new director Manny Coto has made Season 4 the most popular of em all - why not hand it over to him the way it passed from Roddenberry on to Rick Berman once? Jealousy, that's why.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

LeVar directed Enterprise episodes? Interesting. Its one thing to kill one Star Trek series, its another thing entirely to suggest that the whole Trek franchise be nuked. I don't know how many Trek fans there are but I can't see the Trek franchise dying anytime soon. But the suggestion to close everything down shows arrogance and a lack of respect for fans.
But I hate that "If we don't have it, nobody should" attitude, that has convinced execs to kill off the show
What do you think Lman - is there any chance of an Enterprise revival?

I heard of plans to get Patrick Steward back in a new Star Trek film in a couple of years, he's commented it himself saying that although he's denied to ever again do Star Trek, the plans are "serious".

Personally I'd take another season of Enterprise over a new Star Trek TNG movie any day.

Of course if I can have both then :w00t: but that would be dreaming... :weep:
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

I think Star Trek infact does need a little sleep for while, for 2 reasons!
- to make people long for it and demand it
- to allow the custodians of the franchise to rethink its direction

That said I think the last movie "Nemesis" was excellent.

Speaking as fan of sci-fi genre, I hoping my beloved and misunderstood Babylon 5 will someday return as feature film that will attract everyone to its universe.

Maybe the revamped Battlestar Galactica and crappy scifi shows like Andromeda maybe be grapping the attention of viewers today. I would not be suprised that the Stargate franchise falls on its arse and we have a dark time in sci-fi.

I'm happy this year though, Doctor Who is back :D
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

Bah, give it fifteen years and then bring it back again, like Doctor Who. Now that's put the fun back into sci-fi for me. Funny, fast-moving, tongue in cheek adventure. Everything else seems artificial and stiff these days.

Don't even get me started on Stargate. I fear my language may offend.
Great, another set of strings ruined...
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

You can always switch channel while we watch it (no, not Star Gate). :wink:
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

tony.rc wrote:I think Star Trek infact does need a little sleep for while, for 2 reasons!
- to make people long for it and demand it
- to allow the custodians of the franchise to rethink its direction
Well - people already desperately long for it and demand its return. :D (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4563814.stm)
And I think with Enterprise (especially Seasons 3 + 4) they were heading in the very proper direction. Fans and critics both greatly approved of Season 4.

Btw, the website is still up and running - don't know whether the closure was averted by fans' efforts, or if it was just a stupid PR gag.

And I also love Bab 5. :D
exoskeleton wrote: What do you think Lman - is there any chance of an Enterprise revival?
I'm afraid we have to face that there won't be a revival any time soon... btw I agree with everything you said in that post (regarding a TNG movie etc).
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

BRING BACK FIREFLY YOU SUPPERATING FUCKTARDS!

*pant pant pant*

Sorry. I'm fine, now.
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Bog wrote:BRING BACK FIREFLY YOU SUPPERATING FUCKTARDS!

*pant pant pant*

Sorry. I'm fine, now.
Mmmm. Firefly. Firefly gooood!

And lets not forget the Serenity R2 dvd release. 55 days and counting.
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Whatever.

Yesterday i watched the pilot of the new Battlestar Galactica, and this one makes all other sci-fi series so far looking like crap.

Best tv serie ever.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:
Bog wrote:BRING BACK FIREFLY YOU SUPPERATING FUCKTARDS!
Mmmm. Firefly. Firefly gooood!
I second that! :)
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

DHS wrote:Whatever.

Yesterday i watched the pilot of the new Battlestar Galactica, and this one makes all other sci-fi series so far looking like crap.

Best tv serie ever.
new season starts next week :D
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity