Ghouls and Ghost Level 4

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
_tim_forsyth

Ghouls and Ghost Level 4

Post by _tim_forsyth »

Does exactly what it says on the subject line.

I've uploaded this to RKO but thought i'd share through the magic of ourmedia (god knows what I've signed up to there):

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/174387

Anyhoo, let me know what you think. Since its free I chucked up a couple of mp3's I had lying around of old stuff.

tim
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Thought this might have been an old one when I heard it: drums are a bit forced, and the changes in orchestration highlight how bitty the original SID is, but some genuinely eargasmic moments in there. It sounds a bit like "John Carpenter does SID"

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
_tim_forsyth

Post by _tim_forsyth »

Chris Abbott wrote:drums are a bit forced
You know what, I nearly got the point of finding someone if they could drum for me! :) It drove me insane trying to get those drums sound like they were'nt from a sequencer, so what you heard is my rather untimely fingers slapping the keyboard with no quantizing (is that how you spell it? looks wrong).

Hehe. Does anyone have any good tips on how to get sequenced drums sounding more like they were played by a real drummer?
Chris Abbott wrote:but some genuinely eargasmic moments in there. It sounds a bit like "John Carpenter does SID"
Cheers mate, there are a few moments I really tried to get an appropriate sound out of Reason and "work it"!!! :)
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

_tim_forsyth wrote: Hehe. Does anyone have any good tips on how to get sequenced drums sounding more like they were played by a real drummer?
That's my biggest "problem" anytime I start a new remix, too.
But the solution isn't to play them drums on a keyboard without quantisation. Unless you're a really skilled keyboard player you'll get lousy choppy timing instead of human feel.
IMO the key is rather
1.the choice and variation of sounds
for example you'll need lots of different snare samples for the main high velocity notes and add flams, rolls, rimshots and dead notes. You'll need a high dynamic range for any drum instrument. Most modern drum sample libs provide that.
2.to program grooves and things (e.g. fills etc.) a real drummer would play.
(e.g. that means things like let him kick the HiHat while playing the ride,
skip the HiHat or ride when hitting a crash and so on.)

When the sound of the drumset is authentic then it even sounds good with machinelike quantisation (if you need it). :)
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

Chris wasn't kidding when he mentioned John Carpenter. Awesome arrangement of one of my favourites.

I've tried doing this one a few times and it's a right bitch rythm-wise.
Great, another set of strings ruined...
Jax
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Jax »

Drums...

Anybody investigated this...?

http://www.rayzoon.com/jamstix_feat.html

I'd never heard of it, but it seems like it might be quite cool, actually... If it does what it says on the tin...

Jax
LDA #$0F
STA $D418
_tim_forsyth

Post by _tim_forsyth »

Romeo Knight wrote: 1.the choice and variation of sounds
for example you'll need lots of different snare samples for the main high velocity notes and add flams, rolls, rimshots and dead notes. You'll need a high dynamic range for any drum instrument. Most modern drum sample libs provide that.
Horah, there is an answer! Thanks for the info, I must admit I tried with the snare fills to use the 4 different snares I had in the kit at my disposal.

Tonight I came across this article:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct99/a ... 20tips.htm

From what you said and from reading this it all makes sense. Any suggestions on where i can get a good selection of drum samples from (or buy)?
jax wrote: Drums...

Anybody investigated this...?
I'll look into it, although seems that a good drumkit is a pre-requisite. Its certainly given me a load of good pointers in the right direction.
Maindrian wrote: Chris wasn't kidding when he mentioned John Carpenter
I didn't really take full stock of what Chris said but now after listening to it again, blimey! yes it does. It certainly wasn't the intention, just the way the tune developed.

Is it just me or do you find that music never turns out the way that you think it will when you start working on it? 24 hours later it can go down a completely different route from when you started on it.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

What's odd is that Tim Follin on a couple of occasions spent ages on a piece and then the computer switched off or something, and he sometimes went off on a completely different direction thanks to that bit of chance..
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

Really? That explains quite a lot. I loved the bizzare little tangents that this particular piece goes off into. Menacing, whimsical, epic, all a growing boy needs.

I used to listen to the sid when I was playing a pc version of Bruce Lee that I found a while back. Kind of fit that game perfectly, but this remix does even more so. Must get back to playing that sometime soon. :D
Great, another set of strings ruined...
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

@ Tim: look at this
viewtopic.php?t=3353&highlight=drums

There's also a fantastic free downloadable kit at
http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk I recently used for the upcoming Crystal Symphonies production.

20 Tips btw is very good, theoretical this is everything you need to know.
Monty Mole
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Re: Ghouls and Ghost Level 4

Post by Monty Mole »

_tim_forsyth wrote:Does exactly what it says on the subject line.

I've uploaded this to RKO but thought i'd share through the magic of ourmedia (god knows what I've signed up to there):

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/174387

Anyhoo, let me know what you think. Since its free I chucked up a couple of mp3's I had lying around of old stuff.

tim

I loved this remix. The original sid Tune from Tim Follin (I think the Ghouls N Ghosts music is one of the best sid's ever) belongs to my favourite tunes. Ypur remix is great and near and the original.
:D
How will I laugh tommorow,
if I can't even smile today ?