Opinions on a remix before I submit it to R.K.O.

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
Dr. Bongo
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Opinions on a remix before I submit it to R.K.O.

Post by Dr. Bongo »

Here is my version of subtune 2 from RoboCop (Think level 1`s music).
I`m quite pleased with it so I think it`s about finished. However I would value some opinions before I submit it. Oh, and please don`t just reply with `I don`t like it` or `boring!` those type of comments really don`t help. Thanks in advance.

Link - http://www.speedyshare.com/484890146.html
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

First of all: Welcome to the forum!

Your remix:
A little word of warning beforehand - I'm far from being an expert musically speaking - in fact I'm quite untalented. :lol:
I had a listen and there were some points I wish to give you my impressions of.

- The intro is long. Very long. This is directly connected to point three & four.
- The remix could use more diversity. There are here and there attempts to bring in new elements. Very cautiously done but not substantial enough. This is also connected to the third point.
- Overall, the lead sounds a bit dull so that I got the impression that there's background but no lead. It lacks some beef or variation in the used instruments.
- It could have helped to shorten the remix and compress what you've got into 2 - 3 minutes.
- The last problem could be my PCs fault. There's a lot of crack, hiss & pop in this, dunno if that's caused by my equipment or not.

I don't think of your remix being a dud. Except for what I mentioned above I think it has some potential. :)

OK, let's just wait for the cavalry. A fellow musician should give you better advice.
All is lost.
Dr. Bongo
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Dr. Bongo »

@Vosla:
Thank you very much for your reply and the time you took to make it. the`re the sort of comments I really value.

I hope it causes no offense but, I`d like to address some of your points and maybe get a possible reaction : )

I started this remix trying to add some `machine` elements so the crack hiss & pop are totaly intentional. I felt they worked as the SID/game/movie is about a robotic/man.

I have put many different lead elements into the remix and they have all ending up sounding cluttered. I felt a minimalistic sound worked best, but that`s just my opinion.

I find it really hard in remixing that, as the arranger I do what sounds good to me. However, everyone`s tastes are different.

I`m typing too much now... sorry ...