Amiga Remixes - erm, "remixes"???

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Amiga Remixes - erm, "remixes"???

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Guys,

The recent batch of remixes is of a constant level of quality. What I mean by that, and I'm not mentioning anyone in particular, is that the tunes are all of a similar sound, approach and in some cases, even the arrangement is 1:1 from the original. I know we've had this before, but to be honest, it's starting to make me wonder.

Let me explain: Remixes and new arrangements should be just that. Previsouly, we discussed 711's approach and while his view on remixing is different to mine, his work is a mixture of original arrangement, some own bits, Amiga instruments and synths. Fair enough.

With the recent batch, I am slowly wondering if complete 8-bit modules are being taken and mixed through a new panorama with some effects. Possibly throwing in some single synth bits. The way this could be done is by using say OctaMed or Soundstudio to import Mods and use the MIDI capabilty of the tracker. I'm not going to say that that's the way it is being done, but the many years I spent in the Amiga scene have left me with a pair of trained ears. Some samples are unmistakably 8 bit here. Ergo: They're the original samples from the Mod, somehting that is even more underlined by the 1:1 arrangement.

Now, guys, if this is the case, and my aural perception tells me it is so, then I'd ask: What's the point? And in which way does it honour somebody else's work such as Putzi's who goes through the pain of finding own instruments and creating his own version? This could be the start to the C64 version of the debate - people adding synth drums to a complete SID was just embarrasing.

I'll be at the BITLive party tomorrow, so anybody who want's to flame me, can just come and bring his molotov cocktail with him to the club. That's if he gets in. Mind you, wihtout weapons, I'll beat the living sh*t out of you. :wink:

Guys, this is just a view. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

Rafael
Paul Vanukoff

Post by Paul Vanukoff »

Well ... I agree with you ... but ...

What to do though? I really have no way of knowing if someone has created a remix from scratch or if they just took a mod and upgraded the instruments, or what ... it's not like just adding drums to a sid where it is blatantly obvious. Neither is there a panel of people to judge if something should be on the site or not ... maybe there should be ...

If anyone has suggestions or constructive feedback on this issue (or even if it is an issue as some people don't seem to mind 1:1 remixes) I'd love to hear it.
Paul Vanukoff
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

<<<
I really have no way of knowing if someone has created a remix from scratch or if they just took a mod and upgraded the instruments, or what ... it's not like just adding drums to a sid where it is blatantly obvious. Neither is there a panel of people to judge if something should be on the site or not ... maybe there should be ...
>>>
This is why Jan has a jury to vet the upload queue: though of course
he makes the decisions himself, it's valuable to get feedback
from people who have been through it all: and have been around
long enough to know if someone has reused someone else's work
without credit, or in the case of an Amiga tune, reused the 8-bit
samples. Which, to be fair, is perfectly valid if they're used in a slightly
different way.

Very little gets through the RKO quality filter that doesn't have some
"point" to it artistically. Perhaps you should give Raf privileged
access to the upload queue so he can help with more technical
judgements?

Chris
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

I have to put my hand up on this with my release of 9 Fingers to AmigaRemix. This was intentionally a 1:1 conversion of the original mod and in fact many of the lead intruments are the originals cleaned up.

I'm not sure 1:1 conversions are a bad thing but I guess they should not be called "Remixes" which is why I have tagged "Refix" to the end of mine. Maybe I shouldn't have released it to AmigaRemix.com as it was really only intended for the XMas Chortles 2 DVD release and I thought a 1:1 conversion would make life easier for poor old Kenz and his Premier :)

Sorry... :oops:
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

well, i spent about 2000 euros to have sounds like the lead in apidya, so... :)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

DHS, that's fine in my view. Getting the "feel" and sound of the original across and improving the pure technical side is definitely a positive aspect.

You've gone a different way with your mix, taking the tune to a sound style that Huelsbeck himself used in level 4 (the techno level) of his own soundtrack CD to Apidya. That's to be commended. Also, you've recreated the entire tune, adding your own sound, a true 16bit quality sample set and have made it good enough to be on Chris' own CD in fact. It wouldn't sound out of place there at least.

I think that turning out mixes at a fast rate, adding some proper panorama (strictly speaking, the Amiga only has 2 stereo pairs, making it 2 left and 2 right channels - quite odd when listening via headphones) may be fun and may claim some fame to whoever remixes like that, but it simply questions the musical side. What's stopping my mother from pressing play on Octamed, switching on my exciter, turning the pan on the single channels and pressing record on my DAT? Does anybody really want to hear that?

Rafael
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

DHS, that's fine in my view. Getting the "feel" and sound of the original across and improving the pure technical side is definitely a positive aspect.

You've gone a different way with your mix, taking the tune to a sound style that Huelsbeck himself used in level 4 /the techno level) of his own soundtrack CD to Apidya. That's to be commended. Also, you've recreated the entire tune, adding your own sound, a true 16bit quality sample set and have made it good enough to be on Chris' own CD in fact. It ouldn't sound out of place there at least.

I think that turning out mixes at a fast rate, adding some proper panorama (strictly speaking, the Amiga only has 2 stereo pairs, making it 2 left and 2 right channels - quite odd when listening via headphones) may be fun and may claim some fame to whoever remixes like that, but it simply questions the musical side. What's stopping my mother from pressing play on Octamed, switching on my exciter, turning the pan on the single channels and pressing record on my DAT? Does anybody really want to hear that?

Rafael
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I certainly don't want to hear about your mother turning on your exciter!! :shock:

:lol:
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

Har har har - har di har har Chris. :roll: :wink:

Rafael
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Rafael Dyll wrote:DHS, that's fine in my view. Getting the "feel" and sound of the original across and improving the pure technical side is definitely a positive aspect.
Ahem, my remix has nothing to do with the original feel :)
You've gone a different way with your mix, taking the tune to a sound style that Huelsbeck himself used in level 4 /the techno level) of his own soundtrack CD to Apidya.
I didn't.
I never liked Leve4 music: with all respect to Chris Huelsbeck, i consider it a cheap ripoff of "James Brown is Dead", since it borrows from it a lot of samples and some of the melody line.

I could remix it easily, but it would make no sense.

Cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
seVeneleVen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seVeneleVen »

I never liked Leve4 music: with all respect to Chris Huelsbeck, i consider it a cheap ripoff of "James Brown is Dead", since it borrows from it a lot of samples and some of the melody line.

I could remix it easily, but it would make no sense.
... i totally agree with you.

in fact its like i said before:
its in the eye of the "remixer" if he just wants to "mod a mod" ... 8)
... or if its an obligation to him to start up from scratch - maybe i remixed very much hippel-songs coz he had his own editor ... so there was and is no way to do a mod-convert.
no possibility - no temptation :wink:

i think that a 1:1 conversion (the "mod to mid" way) is not worth the work ... and i also think that a 1:1 conversion (the "try to keep the style and the soul" way) is worth the work for 101%.
Rafael Dyll
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Rafael Dyll »

DHS wrote:Ahem, my remix has nothing to do with the original feel :)
No, that's not what I meant - of course it isn't synth pop or whatever, but your mix is clearly Apidya - to me it wouldn't sound out pf place in a modern version of the game today.
DHS wrote:I didn't.
Many tracks by the big H are rip offs :lol: , he's good at that. Still, see my reply above, the same applies here. Your remix is a good remix. Basta. 8)

Rafael
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Remixes being remixes

Post by M.A.F »

I logged in.

I typed a very long personal response with regards to remixing.

I submitted my response.

R64 then said "you have to logg in"

I logged in again.

My post disapeard

What a waste of time.
Not to be too pretentious you understand.
seVeneleVen
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by seVeneleVen »

why didn't you use the "back" button in your browser and copied your post?
M.A.F
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by M.A.F »

SevenEleven wrote:why didn't you use the "back" button in your browser and copied your post?
This is a very late reply,but here goes.

Cos im a silly silly man Seven. :)
Not to be too pretentious you understand.