Effects in tracks - triggers

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
buzzard
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Effects in tracks - triggers

Post by buzzard »

I find myself listening to lots of tracks on here and wishing I could reproduce some of the effects which others have used.
A simple example of this would be applying a filter or echo to a track at a certain point that lasts for a few seconds or so and then everything continues to play as normal.

I'm messed with various VST effects in tracks but it 's a real binary thing - it's either on or off with no way to control where it triggers and terminates.

Is this something that can only be done in real-time recording or prerecorded loops, or can it be triggered somehow at various points in a song?

I don't use midi much for anything and everything I do is using a host and various VSTs.
Amok
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Effects in tracks - triggers

Post by Amok »

Automation is the trick. It should be possible to automate VST values like HP or LP Filter cutoff in your DAW.
Mordi
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by Mordi »

buzzard wrote: Is this something that can only be done in real-time recording or prerecorded loops, or can it be triggered somehow at various points in a song?
Usually it's easiest to use automation. In FL Studio one simply right-clicks the twiddly-knob one wants to control, and click "Create automation track" (or something like that) and Bob's your uncle.

Sometimes I find it easier to edit the sound separately and then load that new sound into the project I want. Depends on the situation.
Check out my website.
buzzard
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by buzzard »

Darn it.... Don't think you can do this in MED - I'll have to checkout Renoise I think.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

I tend to use 2 or more similar tracks, one with the original melodie or whatever that plays the way I want, and the rest with the effects and stuff and switch between them way I want it to change with volume control or cut and paste stuff ... :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID