C64 tunes suggestions

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
marko river

C64 tunes suggestions

Post by marko river »

I've been listening to slayradio and remixes for years. Still have my C64 and play it from time to time. I was amazed when I realized that remixing of those old tunes exist :) Been hooked up with ever since. Since all my knowledge of tunes came entirely from playing games, I was glad to find out many great SID tunes that were not part of the game and that I would never heard of. Also, some remixing ideas are absolutely brilliant and innovative. At first I was looking for practically same tunes only mixed with modern tools, but some remixes go far beyond that (to my happiness) :D

I joined the community to suggest few tunes. I quickly found and read concerns about the future of this place and the question of people leaving. I do agree that people will come and go as with every enthusiastic project. However, I mentioned this because I do agree that there are too many remixes of the most popular titles. Therefore this suggestions may be more useful than simple nostalgia, as I came to think that some artist aren't aware of some great tunes and just might get some inspiration. I regret that I have no musical knowledge and can't do anything myself. Well, anything except this.

I will try to be specific about those tunes, so please tell me if certain tune has been remixed. I tried checking on slayradio and RKO before posting here, but I'm surely missing all the places I was supposed to look in, as well as I might have missed something.

I hope this address in HVSC is fine.
\MUSICIANS\C\Cannon_Matthew\Navy_Seals.sid
I am big fan of tune 8 which I was listening many times while playing the game. Later on when I discovered the SID player, I have to give some praises to tune 4 as well. I still prefer tune 8, but would be grateful if I see the remix of any of those two.

\MUSICIANS\C\Cannon_Matthew\Untouchables.sid
Few nice tunes in this sid, although they may be too short. Tune 5 (the first level I think) is my favorite, but you might wanna check tunes 6 and 7 as well. Latter two may be shorter, but perhaps can be mixed together :) Tunes 8 and 9 also may sound nice to some of you, but didn't quite stick with me.

\MUSICIANS\O\Ouwehand_Reyn\Flimbos_Quest.sid
I guess this was a popular title and I heard remixes. I am surprised to see that there is no remix of the first level music. That would be tune 7. I hope someone will like this one and have inspiration very soon :D Tune 6 is from second if I'm not mistaken, also a nice one.

\MUSICIANS\F\Follin_Tim\Ghouls_n_Ghosts.sid
Another popular one, also surprised not to find the remix of the first level music yet. Please, someone please remix the tune 7. I was scared of the music and the game when I was a kid, somehow that tune always sound ghoulish to me :nod: Furthermore that tune is not present in the original arcade version, unlike the more popular tune 8 (which is also great). As for the tune 8, my version of the game played differently. First there was an intro with the tune part from 00:38 to 01:28, without the full basses and background. Then, the tune would play from beginning with normal basses. The tune wasn't really "jumping", I'm just describing the music I heard using the existing sid file. Perhaps someone like this.
Also, do check tune 9, there might be enough material for some weird ambient piece.
marko river

Re: C64 tunes suggestions

Post by marko river »

I had to split in two posts... I guess I like typing :)

\MUSICIANS\G\Gehrmann_Holger\North-Sea_Inferno.sid
Loved the title music from Persian Gulf Inferno. Sometimes I would just load the title screen, sit and listen. Nothing complicated I guess, but it is catchy. I also liked that it wasn't in "cute" style, but like more serious. I would like to see the longer song, not just two minutes, but that would require some additional composing as the tune does gets repetitive.

\GAMES\S-Z\Wild_Streets.sid
The tune 1 is awesome. Do listen to it if you haven't heard it yet. Tune 5 is not even close to tune 1 IMO, but is cherry happy tune you might like. I found only one remix of Wild Streets and can't recognize the tune... must be from Amiga version.

\MUSICIANS\B\Brimble_Allister\Terrys_Big_Adventure.sid
This is pure nostalgia. I loved this game, so I'm hoping someone might love the tune. It's tune 1.
Another thing, tune is listed under Allister Brimble. I think he composed music for amiga version. I got in touch with Gary Walton (creator of the game) and he claimed that he composed the music for C64. Anyway, I should tell that to someone on lemon64...

\GAMES\A-F\Detective_Game.sid
tune 1 is somehow strange. Too bad it is not longer... perhaps enough for idea....

\MUSICIANS\L\Lowe_Dave\Garfields_Winter_Tail.sid (interesting one)

Now some more cheery tunes. I noticed too few Dizzy songs :)
\MUSICIANS\G\Gray_Matt\Treasure_Island_Dizzy.sid (tune 2, tune 1 has been remixed with guitars, a nice idea)
\MUSICIANS\B\Barrett_Steve\Magic_Land_Dizzy.sid (tunes 1 and 3, I like tune 2 less than those two)
\MUSICIANS\B\Barrett_Steve\Fast_Food.sid (tune 2)
\MUSICIANS\B\Brimble_Allister\Panic_Dizzy.sid (tune 1 rocks :) Too bad tune 3 is just a repeater, it would be a good start)

For the end, another tune I was surprised to see not yet remixed
\MUSICIANS\P\Pridmore_Dave\Action_Fighter.sid (tune 1)
Tune can surely be done in various styles. Personally, I can't help it not ti imagine it in rock Joe Satriani style. Just listen to Satriani's Summer Song and Speed of Light and you'll get the point :D

I guess this more than enough of suggestions for the moment. There are many more naturally, but few of those I would really like to hear.
Hopefully some of you will like those too :D
marko river

Post by marko river »

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned so many tunes at the same time. I wish someone at lest comment on whether do you like any of those.

If I have to choose priorities, I would say:
Navy Seals - tune 8
Flimbo's Quest - tune 7
Ghouls'nGhosts - tune 7
detailed info is in first post.

Can anyone even comment on those? I wonder do other people like those tunes as much as I do...
vurtX
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by vurtX »

Hi Marko, about Ghouls & Ghosts tune 7, Reyn Ouwehand has done a quite brilliant version on his excellent album "The Blithe, the Blend and the Bizarre" .. details of it are here >

http://www.c64audio.com/productInfo.php?cat=PP004

I think you can hear a sample there, if not you could request it on Slay Radio I guess.. but its superb, as is the whole album.

And about other Ghouls & Ghosts remixes, there are another two I like you may have missed, they are "Binster - Ghouls And Ghosts Poltergeist Mix" and "Nada - Loungin' Ghouls (ReGrooved)"
both free off RKO :D
marko river

Post by marko river »

Yes, I know those two remixes, I downloaded them as soon as I heard them at slay. I checked all remixes of Ghouls'n'Ghosts at RKO. However, there was no remix of tune 7.

Thx for the info, I just checked the page you linked. I was unaware of this. Not exactly spooky remix as I wished to hear, but still it is the only remix of that tune AFAIK.

Thank you again