CLEAN YOUR KEYBOARDS!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

CLEAN YOUR KEYBOARDS!

Post by Commie_User »

The typing keyboard I use for my everyday PC computing is the only one permanently uncovered and constantly touched - and that shows after a while, particularly when the white keys turn black and wedges of dirt and dust pile up between the keys. With a computer by the bed, such a buildup can happen quickly, but still slowly enough for you not to notice if you become accustomed.

Fortunately not even my keyboard environment is as bad as this chap's.

So this is a little reminder for people to look at their keyboards and fetch a cloth and some squeezy-bottle diluted detergent. Shake the keyboard upside-down, squirt liberally onto the cloth and clean the unit as best you can. (Might want to do the table as well.)

Scientists have said somewhere that dirty keyboards are filthier than lavatories. The article never said if they were always the same germs but I get the point.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... tummy.html

My wall-mounted C64s are covered with clear bags and I can see how the dust builds and collects in the polythene's pores. A good thing to do is, with a new keyboard, to keep the plastic bag it comes in and cover the keyboard. This makes it easier to clean and stops the filth from collecting in the nooks and crannies. Nice idea for remote controls too, especially if you eat food by the equipment. I've just done mine and even though the keyboard still looks far from new, the difference looks and feels amazing.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Re: CLEAN YOUR KEYBOARDS!

Post by Vosla »

Seems hardcore but you can remove ALL plastic parts like casing and keycaps, put them all into a cotton bag and put it in the laundry at 30°C max. Like new afterwards.

Main debris in my keyboard : pizza & bread crumbs, cola stains, skin flakes, hairs (both human and feline) and some spittle drops from raging.
All is lost.
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Now THAT!! is a nasty keyboard :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I tend to turn my keyboard up side down sometimes... :D
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Commie_User
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Commie_User »

Vosla wrote:Seems hardcore but you can remove ALL plastic parts like casing and keycaps, put them all into a cotton bag and put it in the laundry at 30°C max.../quote]
Once upon a time I used to dismantle the whole thing and shower out the casing and buttons in the bath. But with the cheap and regularly faltering keyboards of today, it can be more common to change than to give a deep wash.

I've also owned rubber keyboards which are easier to keep clean. But they didn't last. As much as I hated the Spectrum keyboard I hated those.